Meet Dan Fields, a commercial portrait artist from San Diego, CA.
Supported by his wife and two daughters he travel the world creating images for corporations, sports franchises, professional athletes, and celebrities. His biggest passion revolves around landscape photography tho, and this pro is all about finding those amazing places to shoot.
BEHIND THE LENS
1. Amateur or Pro?
2. Describe your feed in 3 words.
- Fun, Colorful and Emotional.
3. What’s in your toolbox for taking and editing photos?
- My workflow starts with CS6 Bridge.....then goes to Lightroom 4......then to CS6 Photoshop.......then Nik for Color Exposure 4, Define 2, and Viveza 2.
4. What is Instagram for you?
- Instagram is all about inspiration, relationships, helping others and connecting with other great people on Instagram. There are so many that inspire me. I just love meeting all the wonderful and gracious people there.
5. Who and/or what inspires you?
- The main motivation in my life is my beautiful wife and two incredible young daughters. I am beyond blessed to have a wife that is happy to support my love of photography. She is incredibly encouraging and patient with the crazy life I lead. My two daughters are also "proud of Daddy", so that just makes my heart explode with joy! It drives me to get better.....to be a better person. I am also incredibly inspired by seeing so many awesome new photographers out there that are busting their tails to get better. I just love offering any help I can to those wonderful people.....
6. What is your best advice to a fellow photographer?
- I always love this question. There is so much you can say, but only a few things that really matter. Here are my core pieces of advice here:
1. Get out there and SHOOT!.....showing up is 80% of a great image!
2. Shoot what you love! Don't waste your time trying to shoot like someone else......your own desire and heart will lead you down the path of creating images YOU are proud of!
3. LEARN! Be in a never ending state of improvement. Learning is fun! Learn one new thing and then practice it until you master that one thing. Then move on to the next thing to learn and master that.
4. HELP OTHERS!!! This is huge. There is something perfectly clear and pure about giving to others. The impact of helping others with their photography will come back to positively impact so many other parts of your life. This is a world of abundance....NOT scarcity......give, help, serve.....it will fill your heart!
7. Who is your favourite photographer on Instagram?
- Oh wow! Such a tough question. I have so many that inspire me....that put a smile on my face.....that blow my mind! To mention a few, @teidemike , @starvingphotographer , @africatracks , @spb_photography, but @larrymarshallphotography has inspired me in tremendous ways. Larry is just such an amazing and gracious person.....incredibly talented world class photographer, but more importantly he's a world class person! I am honored to call him a great friend!
8. Best photography secret?
- Whoa.....so many fun ones! On the shooting side, I would say "USE A TRIPOD!" It will open up a whole new world of photography for you. On the editing side, I would say "LEARN Lightroom!!" It is such an amazing tool to help you take your images into the digital darkroom and finish your amazing creations! On the Vision side - Get out there! If you are going to a cool place to shoot......drive there.....park the car....LEAVE the gear in the car initially. Get out and walk the location....start to "feel" it......"See" the location and the compositions first without a camera in your hand. We all too often get distracted by what's around our neck or in our hands. Focus first with the end in mind....what that beautiful composition might be....THEN SHOOT IT!!!!
9. Things you want to be better at as a photographer?
- I want to continue to help others get better. My passion really falls in the realm of teaching, helping, encouraging........and holding others accountable to their own dreams. I'll be focusing more of my energies in creating world class instruction and taking other great people on photography adventures of a lifetime!
10. How much time do you spend on photography?
- I spend WAY too much time on Photography! LOL.....don't we all. In all seriousness though, about 60-70 hours a week....every week....is focused on my profession, love and passion of photography.
We want to thank Dan for taking the time to talk to us and sharing his knowledge and thoughts about photography. Make sure you visit his Instagram profile! Simply click his Instagram username under his profile photo on the top.