Kimberly is one of our latest teammembers. With her kind ways and sweet aura, she features amazing photographs. Make sure you follow this one, her selections are top notch!
"A Northwest Girl turned South Texas Mama. Photography was my passion in high school, but it got set aside when I couldn’t take the dark room with me to college and beyond. I found Instagram after having my daughter, at a time when I felt a need to reconnect with the artistic and creative parts of myself. Photography gives me a fulfilling sense of personal identity, that for many of us, gets set aside as we take on our Adult Roles. I’m delighted to be a part of the Gram of the Day team - sharing my love of classic techniques and modern creativity, plus I get to make people happy every single day! There’s nothing better."
- Kimberly Hedges
BEHIND THE LENS
1. Amateur or Pro?
2. Describe your feed in 3 words.
- Styled by Moments
3. What’s in your toolbox for taking and editing photos?
- A Nikon D5200 is my new toy, but I started on Instagram with just a Sony Cybershot and an HTC phone. The Cybershot still comes with me on our family's wet and messy adventures. For editing, I love picmonkey.com. With a creative eye you can do amazing things with their free online program (I'm not a sponsor for them, just a fan).
4. What is Instagram for you?
- Instagram is a daily vacation. A chance to step away from my routine and see places I've never been, talk to friends around the world, and learn from other art & photography enthusiasts.
5. Who and/or what inspires you?
- The who: My high school photography teacher, Sue Hamilton, who is an incredible woman. We are still friends and she cheers me on every step of my way. My mother who worked from home as a graphic artist through my childhood. My family - the magic of our adventures is what I'm always trying to capture and communicate in my pictures.
The what: I'm inspired by light - how it moves, how it lands on a subject.
6. What is your best advice to a fellow photographer?
- Experiment. No matter what kind of camera, no matter what your experience, just keep clicking. Try new settings, filters, perspectives and you'll find a style of your own and make masterpieces.
7. Who is your favourite photographer on Instagram?
- That's a tough one! Especially now that I'm getting introduced to new favorites on a daily basis. My mind first went to Mahesh, known as @starvingphotographer. His work in the Northwest USA is spectacular - his magic with the camera takes me back home. I also have to mention @fairabagdja who is an absolute magician with sunsets and long exposure. She was the first popular Instagram photographer to take notice of me - getting her comments always gives me an extra thrill.
8. Best photography secret?
- Rule of Thirds and Depth of Field. Get those 2 things down and you're already miles ahead of the general population.
9. Things you want to be better at as a photographer?
- Oh what a list I could make! For now I'd love to take some classes (things have changed drastically since the late 90s I’m told) and get some filters and reflectors….. and a pack mule to carry it all when I go hiking!
10. How much time do you spend on photography?